Friday, September 3, 2010

Never Too Old

StealAcrossTheSky24x42.jpg

http://nashvillearts.com/2010/09/01/dawn-whitelaw-a-painters-journal/

This article really stuck out to me because the woman in it paints for her career, yet she didn't even pick up a brush until she was 35. Sometimes I feel as though I can't be a good artist because I am so inexperienced and didn't get the guidance and teaching other students did in their high school years, so it is very comforting to know that it is never too late to get started on art. The artist, Dawn Whitelaw, is most known for her landscape paintings. When reading her description of her steps to making a painting, I couldn't help but think about the element of making decisions that every artist has to go through. Whitelaw has to decide where she will set up to paint, exactly what she will include in the painting, what time of day she will paint, and what colors she will use. Color is a very important element in her paintings. Whitelaw loves how nature makes her feel and she tries to convey that emotion through the bright colors scheme she uses in her paintings. I just felt that this article was so encouraging because you just never know how good you can be at something until you try.

5 comments:

  1. Great Article Choice! I wrote that one:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really!? That's so crazy! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the article it said "Whitelaw’s preliminary sketches resemble a diary. Quick pencil outlines are decorated with words that remind the artist of how a particular scene made her feel. When painting outdoors, Whitelaw works in quick, broad strokes to capture an impression of the moment. She later translates plein-air studies in pencil and paint to a fully developed work in her studio. The final result is a culmination of her visual and emotional record of a single time and place. "

    I really like that she does that. Rather than just standing outside and literally painting a landscape, she instead sees the landscape and translates it through her emotions. You can really see this in her winter scenes where there are colors that normally wouldn't be found in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that she never started to paint until the age of 35 astounds me. I can definitely feel the emotion in her painting especially through the color choices. He pictures outside have such a sense of depth. I really enjoy her paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitelaw’s work is amazing. I feel a great sense of emotion enthrall me when looking at her painting. She creates a mood in her painting that can be felt. I love the way that she captures nature. it is great that she is able to create art even thought she did not start till the age of 35.

    ReplyDelete